Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sorting through Stuff

Another hot day during the summer has me sorting through old papers again. This time I ran across old work papers about "Next Generation Wargaming (NGW)", tax filings from 2005, college loan papers and a multitude of others. Why do we keep such things?

I kept the NGW readings just in case I'd be working on it again. The likelihood of that happening is nil. Out it goes.

Tax papers from 2005.....well, let's just say, I keep any paperwork that the government might want to audit later. But since it has been seven (7) years, maybe it's time to shred them?  I know there a general understanding that you keep papers like that for a certain amount of time. I think that timeframe has passed.

College loan papers?  Ummm, it's paid off.  Next!

I did find a lot of old college papers from a couple of writing classes I took in 2007. While the stories my classmates had written were interesting, I just don't see any reason to keep and savor them for future read. Besides, they have been sitting on the bottom of a shelf for the past five (5) years. Am I really going to read them again?  Probably not.

As I continue to downsize, I ask myself a lot of questions. Many of those questions I have read in other articles about downsizing. When was the last time I read/used/moved it?  Am I likely to read/use/move it again?  Is there someone else that can use it?  After going through these questions and others, I make the final decision. Unless it has extreme sentimental value or is of great monetary value, out it goes. I don't have the room nor the time to keep up with items that take up space and I will probably never read/use again.

By the way, for those that read this blog, be sure to stop by www.livingunstoppable.com.  It's a website of a friend of mine who has had some severe challenges in his life.

It's Sunday. I started this Saturday. Time to go through a few more folders, drink another cup of coffee and watch some Olympics.  Go USA!! 

No comments: